Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Throw the bracket in the trash



Ever been royally punked out by a bud?
And I'm not just talking about something stupid like your friend choosing the 6' 4" dude instead of you for that game of pick-up hoops. Or even promising to pay for lunch, until he opens up an empty wallet and asks you "Hey man, mind picking up the tab? I promise I'll pay next time."
I'm talking about cold-blooded punkout.
Like stealing your old lady out from under you, or telling the cops: "No officer, that's not my stash. It's his."
That's kinda how I felt Sunday when JT3 and his highly touted Hoyas succombed to little Stephen (pronounced Stefon) Curry and Davidson.
Davidson?
A school that sounds more like a character off One Life To Live is now two wins shy of advancing to the Final Four, but they've already been tagged as this year's "George Mason."
I really don't care, because Stephen murdered my bracket, and turned an otherwise pleasant weekend into one of pure disgust.
After Friday's final games of the first round, I was still alive with only five bad picks (or three, if you discount my joke upsets with Winthrop and this year's George Mason).
And most imortant, my Final Four was still alive.
After this weekend's brutality, my highlighter is just about dry.
I picked Georgetown to make it all the way to the finals, so toss that out the window.
I'm also a Tennessee two-step away from messing up even more of my bracket. And it's possible. With Memphis facing tournament-tested Tom Izzo and Michigan St. (And by the way, as a partial Italian American, should I be offended by Vitale continually referencing this game as the battle of the Pizans?) and Tennessee squaring off against Rick Pitino and a resurgent Louisville club, maybe I should just give up?
Naw!
I still have two of my picks to make the Final Four left in the field, and could still have six-of-eight left for the Regional Finals.
So I will trumpet on, fight the good fight and hope to death that dang UCLA won't blow it. (And wouldn't you know that Bob Knight is spreading the word that UCLA isn't all that talented, just well coached. Gee, coming from a coach? You don't say?)
Anyhow, here's my revised picks (I'm gonna win, even if it means a little white out here or there)






No comments: